Using a Smart Tweezers is pretty straight forward. Following is a simple procedure to use a Smart Tweezers.
Here we show how to use an earlier version of Smart Tweezers ST-5R. Using latest ST-5S is very similar to it but with much more clarity as it comes with OLED display.
STEP 1 : SWITCHING ON
- Swith on the New Smart Tweezers device by pressing the NAVIGATION BUTTON.
STEP 2: SELECTING A CAPACITANCE MODE
- Any type of Small capacitance is best measured in ‘Manual Mode’ with 10 KHz testing frequency.
- To Change to ‘Manual Mode’, hold the NAVIGATION BUTTON down until the menu appears. Select and press MODE. Then MEASURE. Then select CAP.
- Now the NEW Smart Tweezers is in Capacitance Mode.
STEP 3: CHANGING TEST FREQUENCY
- Again press the NAVIGATION BUTTON. Select MEASURE > SETTING > T.FREQ > 10KHz.
- The number on the screen that appears is the capacitance between the two tweezer tips at their default distance. It is the Capacitance Offset.
- The offset is varied by the distance between the tips. The smaller the component, the closer the tips are together, thus a higher offset evaluation.
STEP 4: MEASURING COMPONENT VALUE
- To store the offset so Smart Tweezers can automatically deduce it from measurements, First, Enter the Menu > MODE > CAP > HOLD
- Set the tweezer tips apart to a distance equal to the component to be measured. This is known as offset.
- Enter the NULL menu, and Select SET.
- An asterisk will appear beside the test mode indicator while measuring to indicate an offset has been stored.
STEP 5: ACCURACY
- Once the offset is stored, Capacitance can be measured with high degree of accuracy.
STEP 6: FINISH MEASURING
- When you have finished measuring, please make sure to reset the offset and custom settings by selecting the menu, then pressing AUTOSET.