Smart Tweezers Evolution Story 2003 – 2016

A journey of  bulky old multi-meters to state-of-the-art Smart Tweezers™ ST-5S (Bluetooth Enabled)

From a traditional bulky old Digital Multi-meters with two test wires hanging from it to a very Smart, Handy and Light weight Smart Tweezers, the story of evolution of a modern Smart Tweezers™ ST5S-BT is nothing less than elegant work of craftsmanship together with the finest class of engineering.

It was in the year 2000 when the the need for some handy test tool was felt. A reliable test tool which could be carried very easily in a pocket (just like a pen). It was then the first prototype of Smart Tweezers was developed. It looked amazingly advanced and very convenient from the very first look and feel. However, it took nearly three more years (2003) for the first marketable Smart Tweezers to develop into something very similar to what it looks like today.

Year 2004 : ST-1R™ (ST-1)

Finally Smart Tweezer™ ST-1R (ST-1) was commercially released. It was a successful test tool and sold like hot cakes. However with it came lots of suggestions to improve it.

Year 2007: ST-2R™ (ST-2)

multimeter-to-smart-tweezers evolutionST-2R model came with significant improvements in both the accuracy and in the design mechanics. The model was ST-2R (ST-2) and had the option of it’s tips being replaced. There were some LCD issues with earlier model, so ST2R came with a better LCD display. The display was also far more clearer and sharp.

Year 2009: ST-AE

Rechargeable Smart Tweezers ST-AE was introduced in order to address a problem of housing damage due to multiple replacement of batteries. Smart Tweezers ST-AE was a bit more expensive but this sleek design and accurate testing tool was widely accepted on assembly lines.

Year 2011: ST5R™

This model of Smart Tweezers ST5R has much longer Swiss made patented tips. Just like it’s predecessor, it has a far better accuracy and Li-Ion rechargeable batteries.

Year 2014:  ST5S

Smart Tweezers™ ST-5S is much more easier to handle, has a much brighter and bigger OLED display, comes with ESR measurement feature and has a much wider range for testing LCRZ SMD components. It is more accurate, reliable and lightning fast in testing and debugging miniature circuits than any of it’s predecessor. It is a must have tool in every service center, test labs and/or manufacturing units. Once fully charged, it can last upto 80 hours.

Year 2015: Colibri™

With the growing demand from service and repair industry prompted Advance Devices, Canada to come up with a low cost variant of Smart Tweezers Colibri. It has basically all the functionality of ST-5S with little compromise on accuracy. It is an ideal tool for hobbyist.

Year 2016: ST5S-BT™

It is an advanced version of Smart Tweezers ST-5S. It is enabled with Bluetooth connectivity for real time data transfer to mobiles and computers for batch processing of results – for analysis and debugging.

Year 2016: Iskra™

Smart Tweezers™ Iskra™ is a handy dedicated tool specifically developed to test and identify the status of SMD and Throughhole LEDs.

15 thoughts on “Smart Tweezers Evolution Story 2003 – 2016

• February 3, 2016 at 8:13 am

this is an interesting post. i love it.

i just inquired the cost of smart tweezers from some one in delhi, they told me the price of a smart tweezers st-5s in india rs.18,500/- is it correct?

i will buy it from you if it is correct.

• February 3, 2016 at 8:15 am

Dear Sir,

Please see your email, we have sent you a quotation.

Kind regards,

Web Administrator

• February 4, 2016 at 1:53 am

What is the price of Smart Tweezers ST-5S? I live in Kharar and is there any delivery charge added to it or should I have to come to your office to buy it?

• February 4, 2016 at 4:57 am

Price of Smart Tweezers is sent with a quotation to your email id, please check. Yes, you can order it from anywhere and we will deliver it free of cost to you.

Thank you.

Web Administrator

• February 7, 2016 at 6:58 am

i work in HCL and our laboratory in pinjore needs a product like this.

can you please send me the price offers. i tried to call your office, but no one picked up the phone.

price is needed for smart tweezers st5sr

thank

• February 8, 2016 at 7:01 am

Dear Sir,

We have already sent you the price offer on your mail-id. Please chk.

We regret that you were not able to reach our office on the phone. However, it is a rare incident.

Thank you.

Webmaster

• February 8, 2016 at 5:13 am

One of my friends purchased this Smart Tweezers ST5S from China for himself however, he sold it to me during his last visit to India. Since then it has never been used by anybody and is in new condition. Can you please suggest if it is possible for you to buy this smart tweezer? Or is it possible for you to sell it for me. It is in a packed condition and completely untouched with all the necessary bills and custom duties paid.

Alternatively, can you help my brother understand the working of this tool so that he can use it during his research work. Your kind help regarding this will be greatly appreciated.
    Also, if you can please tell me as how much should I get for this brand new product.

Thanking you in advance.

Eng. Nishchal Sharma
    Garg Tools and Hammers Limited
    Ludhiana
    Mobile No. 99.14.52.12.87

• February 8, 2016 at 7:20 am

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your inquiry.

We do not purchase second hand products even though in your case it might be a new one. We can however give your brother some indepth technical knowledge on using Smart Tweezer.

To sell your product you can use websites like olx or quikr.

The price of your second hand Smart Tweezers should be around Rs.15,000/- (considering if it is still untouched and comes with billing (not older than 3-6 months and warranty etc.).

A detailed reply is already mailed to you. Pls. chk.

Thank you.

Webmaster

• February 8, 2016 at 10:45 am

Price quote is already sent to your mail. Pls. Chk.

Webmaster

• February 8, 2016 at 9:41 am

Hope my review is approved by you. :)

I am into repair or mobiles and tablets and have a service center by the name of Bombay Mobiles in Sector 23, Chandigarh. Most of the mobiles and tablets that come for repair are Chinese and very poorly documented when I look into their circuitry. Either their highly populated SMD components are not marked and/or Printed Circuit Boards (PCBs) are faulty. This not only makes my job difficult but ridiculously redundant as find myself doing the same thing again and again. It is frustrating and I feel like an idiot. How can anybody spend hours on trying to figure out the type/value of an SMD component??? They all look the same without any values/type printed on top or bottom. That’s a complete joke when you look into the downside of Surface Mount Technology (SMT)????? I have an experience of over 10 years as a SMT technician and still find this job challenging and ridiculously boring.

Are we into an era where repair and service of anything is becoming a thing of the past????? I tell you these manufacturers (particularly from China) are making the life of service providers and technicians like us a hell. I mean why would you want to hide the values of Transistors, ICs, Diodes, Zerners, Resistors, Capacitors or Inductors??? For god sake… These manufacturers are discouraging technicians like us for many years now. But we won’t die that is for sure as long as products like Smart Tweezers are around. One of my friends Karamjit Singh (team leader at the assembly line of HMT Watches) introduced this unique pen type testing tool Smart Tweezers which is specifically introduced for SMD technicians like us.

Actually before using Smart Tweezers I was a great fan of FLUKE instrumentation. However was shocked when I compared it’s result with Smart Tweezers. I tested one tiny little (SMD) capacitor without anything printed on top of it with FLUKE and found its value to be 20uF where as Smart Tweezer showed 47uF. It was when I downloaded the circuit (of that Algo tab) from the Chinese website that I came to know that it was actually 47uF.

The repair work has now quickened up at my service center. Since I have spent around Rs.20,000/- on it so I do not allow my workers to touch it… . However, I am planning to buy another one for them, may be a second hand one or a new Colibri. Repairs of SMT are now fun when I use it.

I find few disadvantages of Smart Tweezers ST5. This is awkward but it cannot check the LEDs. Now that is a serious issue and I hope the manufacturer listen to my request. Second, if you have to check the continuity of a PCB for a long distance, then I still have to rely on FLUKE instruments. Smart Tweezers arms cannot be stretched that wide. Finally, I am not sure if there is a way out to check the current passed through a component. Also, if I keep it on my table for sometime it gets switched off automatically. So it is a cumbersome to switch it on again and again.

It is significantly expensive as compared to FLUKE instrumentation. I still use my FLUKE for my basic repairs, but Smart Tweezers has greatly speeded up the critical repair procedures and gives a great insight to the SMD components. The repair work cost to us has gone down significantly making Smart Tweezers affordable.

If you have a running service center (for smart phones and tablets) with high volume of customers, then I would recommend that you to buy a Smart Tweezers to reduce your repair time and repair cost. It will give you the exact reading of the components, its value, its condition etc. It is absolutely great if time is money and you are feeling frustrated by changing the good components over and over again. On the other hand if you receive very low repair work orders, then FLUKE test tool is good enough as you won’t be able to recover your cost if you buy Smart Tweezers. On the higher side you may think about LCR reader like Colibri.

Overall Smart Tweezers is a Good buy for me and I thank INDE Enterprises from where I bought this ‘amazing‘ tool.

Good Luck.

Sarbjit Singh (Prince)
    Bombay Mobiles
    91.94.17.41.54.04

• February 8, 2016 at 10:48 am

Thank you for your detailed review on our product and we very much appreciate your feedback.

We have approved your review and a subsequent mail has been sent to you with a link this page.

Thank you.

Webmaster

• February 15, 2017 at 11:14 am

multimeters are still in use. it will take sometime for the smart tweezers to kill it. yes for smd devices it is a boon. i have used in my mobile repair shop and it works well.

this article is ok but not for highly qualified professionals. price do play an important role in selection of such test equipment hope you people reduce the price to affordability range.

• March 5, 2017 at 9:07 am

Multimeters are still very cheap option. Smart tweezers is good, but I would still use multimeters just because the price is very low.

• March 5, 2017 at 3:31 pm

Great insight on how the smart tweezers came into existence. thank you for sharing such basic information.